Well...I've been doing some research

Recently, I've been more curious about magick/magic. I decided to read about Wicca and some pages about magick in general at the Veritas Society website. And I found this page. While reading it, I found the following paragraph (which is awfully long in my humble opinion):

"Here, however, I believe it necessary to say a thing or two about faith. Faith, firstly, applies to much more than religious faith. It applies to faith in one’s self, faith in the power you’ve attained, faith in the benefits of your studies, and in magic, faith in your ability to successfully cast spells. So do not say “You have no faith” to a magician, for in truth, he probably has more than you. Ascertaining to religion, you may find that many of the more powerful and/or learned magicians have no religion. This does not denote that the magician is atheistic, it simply means that he/she has stepped outside the confines of dogmatic belief and structure, no longer needing such things in his/her journey for the Individual Truth. In fact, most such magicians are extremely spiritual, and can usually demonstrate a level of theological knowledge which most priests do not even have. I shall use myself as an example. I was born and raised a Christian, with an Irish Catholic father. At about the age of 10, I naturally began to lose interest in the church, finding my faith, Methodism, to be lacking in completeness. At about the age of 12 I began to examine what I was getting from still going to church, and could not come up with a rational reason as to my continued attendance. At around that same time I decided that the path towards Individual Truth could not be reached using a dogmatic belief structure layed down by a complete stranger almost 200 years ago(in the Methodist faith), which was ultimately designed to fit HIS spiritual needs, not the spiritual needs of a boy two centuries later. That having been personally set down was the first step in my disestablishment. None the less, I kept going to make people happy, until I ultimately proclaimed myself apart from the Christian Church due to my stance on the Church’s gruesome history, their way of doings things, their “anti-everything else” views, and quite simply because I was a student of the Forbidden Arts, as my priest called them. Today, my personal spiritual beliefs have traces of Judeo-Christian thought, Taoist philosophy, Buddhist principles, and Shinto naturalism. However, I have never actually joined another religion for two reasons: One being that I separated from the church to escape dogmatic confinement, and two, because to join another religion would be to suggest that all the ideas of the Christian faith were wrong, and I do not believe that is so."

It's slightly freaky, but perhaps not so weird after all that I was about the same age when I began questioning my Catholic upbringing(I was 11) and it wasn't too long ago that I began questioning it more actively(I turn 14 soon). I decided sometime around the beginning of the school year that I needn't go to church at all, for three reasons:

1: I don't believe in the same things.
2: I don't like being restricted so much.
3: I don't like the way the Catholic religion works, especially their "'anti-everything else' views", as Prophecy(the author of it, I think) puts it. I also dislike how they are sexist and homophobic, and are so frickin' strict about so much. Why do they think only a small percent of registered parish members actually show up?

Although the church says all magick is evil (magick as in actual magick, not magic in fiction) all rituals used at church are a form of magick, technically. Hypocrites.

Also, my life is mostly about my search for truth, and in a religion with so much mystery and a dark, covered-up past, I just don't belong. I am not one of the common sheeple (sheep-like people. Read XKCD!), I question things and decide if they're necessary in my life. I cannot blindly believe, like how I cannot brag and I cannot trust a stranger with my life; all of those go against my nature.

Perhaps I will persue magick, perhaps I will stick to psionics. Perhaps I will withdraw into a small bubble cut off from the rest of the world and just focus on school and friends; local things. No matter what, in the end I will still be searching for truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment