The Logical Song

When I was young, it seemed that life was so wonderful,
a miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical.
And all the birds in the trees, well they'd be singing so happily,
oh joyfully, oh playfully watching me.


I love that song. So meaningful and just plain awesome.

But then they sent me away to teach me how to be sensible,
logical, oh responsible, practical.


My early school years. I was taught to be proper, but some it I wanted. I like having order in my life. But perhaps there is too much order.

And then they showed me a world where I could be so dependable,
oh clinical, oh intellectual, cynical.


Yeah, I see the world where I could contribute. But do I want to? Trading some freedom for...what? I'm not sure what I'd get in return.

There are times when all the world's asleep,
the questions run too deep
for such a simple man.
Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
I know it sounds absurd
but please tell me who I am


I love those lines. OK, I'll start at the beginning. For one, I love being the only one awake in the house, when there's still little light outside, and it seems like I'm alone. It's a wonderful, albeit lonely time. The questions, although unrelated to that twilight time, have been running awfully deep lately. I wish people would talk to me more. What I want most of all is to find myself again.

I said now watch what you say they'll be calling you a radical,
a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!


It's sad how in a country meant to be free and accepting, and a place where it is our duty to question if the government is doing its job, people with a good cause are ridiculed.

Oh, take it take it yeah!

At least in the version I have on my iPod, this signifies the part where there are all sorts of odd sounds, a cacophony of wonderful weirdness. Beautiful.

But at night, when all the world's asleep,
the questions run so deep
for such a simple man.
Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
I know it sounds absurd
but please tell me who I am,
Who I am
Who I am
Who I am

No comments:

Post a Comment