If Mother 3 came to America...

Through Earthbound Central (gotta love that site) I found this. It's just an idea, but it's neat. However, I'm not sure I want it to be a reality.

Think about it. For one thing, NoA could mess it up in so many ways. They'd have to change some of the wording, and maybe even take out a scene or two. Also, it's perfectly formatted for GBA. The music might not sound so good on DS, and they'd have to use both screens somehow. Maybe a map on the top screen? But then that feeling of taking the map out for a quick look is gone.

However, my worries about that sort of thing are nothing compared to what would happen to the community. I'm not a big part of it, but I don't want a bunch of idiot n00bs screwing everything up any more than anyone else. Yeah, there'd be some good, useful new people, but the key word there is "some". "Some," as in roughly 10% or less. Which means, for non-math-oriented people, 90% or more idiot n00bs. Do we really want that?

You could argue that that wouldn't happen, but how could it not? The main site is starmen.net. The game would probably be rated E10+ because of the Tanetane mushrooms (drugs, sort of) and the more...emotional scenes. Young children may be haunted by Hinawa's death, or even the ending. Well, E10+ games are usually played by kids about eight and up (or younger, but younger kids aren't as interested in that sort of game) so we could potentially end up with a bunch of 9-year-olds clogging the intertubes with stupid crap. When I was a little younger I had these two friends. They played games like Animal Crossing, but also some games like this one, I don't remember what it was called but I think it was something like Bakugan, although I don't know much about Bakugan. Anyways, I realize now they were idiots. They weren't remotely serious about games, they just liked being able to say they'd played them. They REALLY needed better hobbies than playing games for the sake of popularity. These were the same people who played with Tamagochis for maybe a couple of weeks when a new version came out, and bragged about how far they'd gotten. Now, Tamagotchis were the first games I had aside from Genesis games as old as me that were not 3D. It's partly because of them I fell in love with pixels. At first, I wanted to know what I was missing, and some stupid, crazy part of me wanted to be popular. But I played with those things for a year or two before I found better things to do. Actually, not long after I stopped, I got Pokemon Diamond, my introduction to Japanese RPGs. Now when I look back, I realize I've always loved Japanese video games. Nearly all of my favorites were at some point translated from Japanese, from Ecco II that I played as a small child to the Pokemon games I loved so much to the classics I've dug up, unlike my peers who never dig up old things for fear of getting dirty. Metaphorically, of course.

Oh wow, I'm way off track. :P

Anyways, these people I knew are the sort of people that would give Mother fans a really bad name, and seriously piss off the more hardcore fans who actually care.

I guess I just believe that if it was meant to be and you work towards it, it will happen. Even though I only found the Mother series about a year ago, I feel as if I've always known those old friends, they're that integrated into my life. It's like The Simpsons, or computers, or books: even though it hasn't always been a part of my life, it sure feels like it. The point is, if someone is meant to become a Mother fan, they'll find their way to the series soon enough.

1 comment:

  1. Oh god, I remember when tamogatchi's were huge. There was a girl who literally was BAWLING when her tamogatchi died. I never got one and i'm happy I didn't.

    ReplyDelete