AVATAR

I saw Avatar today. It was good. It really reminded me of the Ender series, or at least the first three books. I've read Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, and Xenocide twice, and Children of the Mind once. I also read the War of Gifts one, but that's beside the point.

I saw a lot of similarities. For one, a normal person has to learn the ways of an alien species to help their species destroy them. They end up caring about the other species, and try to save them. Both are the only one capable. Neither is on Earth.

Also, both the pequininos and the na'vi are one with the world around them, though in different ways. Both respect and care for the forest like a god, but there are other reasons. In both cases, the scientists who have the right general theory are considered crazy - the "What have you been smoking out there?!" line was funny, but very tactless.

Also, the part where - oh, whatever his name is - somehow gets is soul switched into the avatar body seemed very familiar. I didn't realize why for hours, and then it hit me - Miro. Miro was injured trying to cross an electric fence, and became crippled. The mental damage didn't affect his thinking, but it affected his motor abilities greatly. He was considered, well, retarded, even though he was brilliant, just because he spoke slowly and not very well and had trouble moving, rather like an autistic person. Then, when they were Outside, he created a body like the one he had before the incident, and his aiua (soul/spirit/mind) switched to that body, and he was no longer crippled. In Avatar, that one guy was paralyzed waist-down, and after his aiua (to use a term that makes more sense to me) moved to the half-na'vi body, and he could walk - and run, climb, whatever - again.

It was a great movie, but in my opinion, it would be awkward to watch at home with my family. I don't like watching what I call extreme science fiction (with concepts far beyond what most people imagine) with my family. It's...awkward. I think, anyways. I'm not sure. I also don't like watching movies in general with them because I laugh a lot more than they do.

Well...I still would like to watch it again, in the summer, on my laptop, with headphones, without letting anyone know I'm watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment