What is Christmas really about?

For me, Christmas was always about giving presents. I wouldn't have minded much if I didn't get anything, as long as I gave things away. I said it was about Jesus's birthday, to keep the peace, if my mom or grandma ever asked me what I thought. But as I grew older, I've been realizing more and more that for me, it's not about Jesus's birthday. It's about family and friends, and exchanging gifts, and showing you care, even if you have trouble showing you care most of the time.

I had to go to the Christmas mass just a little while ago. UGH. We had to leave half an hour early, and then mass was an hour and a half. Two hours wasted.

Of course, a related issue is Santa Claus. Santa is some other language's word for Saint, and Claus is short for Nicholas. My question is, why don't we call him Santa Nick? Anyways, on Coast to Coast AM last night, they were talking about if it was good to decieve your kids. In related conversations with my mom, she warned me that Adam might ask me if Santa is real. I decided that if he does (which he hasn't yet, to clarify) I will say that I believe in Saint Nicholas. After all, he anonymously gave gifts, kind of like parents saying presents are from Santa when they're from them. It's the same general idea.

For me, Christmastime has different meaning, but perhaps it has more meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment