How Mother's Day brought me joy

On Mother's Day this past spring, I couldn't decide what to give my mom. Finally, I decided on something that would truly be from the heart. I picked out a chain that was from my special necklace with the missing pendant. I got the necklace when I was little, on the Canadian ferry Queen of the North, which has now sunk. We used to ride it every summer on road trips to Oregon, where the rest of both sides of the family live.

The necklace had a pendant of a silver moon with something (abalone?) inside, so that the silver was an outline. On the moon was a silver star. I had the box, but the necklace's pendant had somehow disappeared. So I chose a simple pendant I had bought at Wal*Mart once, and put it on the special chain that I no longer had use for, and gave it to my mom.

Well, guess what? The next day, I walked into my room (after school I think) and there, on my desk, was the necklace, shining blues and purples and greens, just sitting there among all the clutter as if someone had just dropped it there. It was beautiful, and it was back. It turned out the chain that I had used for my mom's necklace hadn't been from my special necklace that had been gone for years. Just a note, though: I didn't even have the desk when the necklace disappeared, I got it some time after.

I now wear the necklace every day. While in Oceanside, CA, I went into a small shop that we always go into when we go there that sold necklaces of the same company. I still had the box, and I had looked at it many times. I knew these were the same company's work. I asked the lady who owned and ran the shop, who was a very nice old lady who, judging by the things in the shop, had a good sense of humor. She said they were sterling silver, and that mine definately looked the same.

I still wear that necklace almost every day, and when I don't wear it it's usually in my pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment